Saturday, May 31, 2014

Traxxas Summit Review-After 5 years

I bought the Traxxas Summit 5 years back and I was SO happy. With all of it's features:

Remote locking diffs
Remote high and low gears
Exo cage
Lay down (Revo) shocks
All terrain ability

Purchase: $850 itself without batteries/charger. You can now find them with batteries around $650 now with batteries but I am not 100% sure if it comes with a charger.

Out-of box: I remember me getting it out in about 30 seconds when I made it home (grrrr hobby shops that are 2 hours away from me) and I put the batteries on charge.

Transmitter: Mine happened to come with a TQ4 but they now come with the 4-channel TQI.

On-road driving: This thing likes the road but it leans in turns BADLY. I found myself 3 wheeling it around turns. But I only remember traction rolling it once. And I drive it like I stole it. So it is a pretty good on-road RC but it is nothing to brag about.

Sand: It likes sand. That is it. But it is a review so I have to get deeper. It drifts a little and it soaks up bumps really well.

Jumping: I cannot recommend it. It is a little slow and it is a little heavy. I noticed if you left the ramp nose down, you land nose down.

Rock Crawling/Trail driving: It doesn't like extreme rocks but it handles the trails well.

Durability: Most of the damages were driver errors that I cannot blame the truck for. But there is a repetitive breakage. Tire rods. Even just crawling, the weight just bends them. I let a sibling drive and she stripped the transmission. Once again, not the trucks fault. The Summit took abuse. I now have a dead motor. It lasted 5 years of abuse which I believe is really good.

Aftermarket: Proline sells a lot. I know other brands sell a lot too. Pretty much, if it fits on a E-Revo, it can go on the Summit.

Overall: Over 5 years, this truck is very solid. It is by far not a track truck (I didn't even bother to test it) and it isn't a crawler. I highly recommend it. Especially for people who want something different or if it is a first truck. I believe that pros will even like it.

Grade: 9.2/10

No comments:

Post a Comment